Sunday, April 22, 2012

Deli Month #2: Hellertown Deli & Pita House

Hellertown Deli & Pita House
1111 Main Street
Hellertown, PA  18055
610-838-1490

Hours: M-W 10 a- 3p
Th 10:30a - 6p
Fri  & Sat 11 a- 8p
I am indebted to my friend, Wes Checkeye, who consistently introduces me to stellar eateries.  When he told me about Hellertown Deli and their excellent falafel, I knew it was a trustworthy report.  To me, what is better than a downtown deli offering Middle Eastern food?  It provides the perfect excursion with a friend or co-worker:  something for those who enjoy an adventurous, ethnic flare or a traditional American sandwich.

The owners, a dashing couple, are hard at work preparing the food, but not too busy to provide a warm greeting and personalized
Mexican wrap
service.  Their menu includes an ample variety of grill items, hot sandwiches, hoagies, wraps, soups and breakfast sandwiches.  

The distinction of this deli is their middle eastern menu.  I enjoy the falafel platter ($7.99 also comes in a sandwich $4.75), a generous portion of 4 falafel patties, accompanied by your choice of salad, pita bread and appetizer.  I chose the classic meatless grape leaves, tabouleh salad (Parsley, onions, tomato, cracked wheat, oil, and fresh lemon juice).  Delicious!  I look forward to a return visit to sample more like their shawarma (a traditional middle-eastern pita sandwich usually including marinated beef or chicken with lettuce, tomato, and a yogurt sauce).  

There was a steady stream of locals enjoying a lunch break, eating in or picking up a take-out order.  The owner recommends their "mouth-watering" certified Black Angus burgers or the "Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich (4 cheeses-Provolone, American, Jack, and Cheddar, tomato and bacon served on seven grain bread, also served with beef or chicken steak meat.).  Next time I'll be sure to take some hummus and tasty baklava or rice pudding to go.

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I both love the food here. Made fresh and with love. The couple that own the shop are hard working and cook authentic. Great food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That man is such a salesman, I love it. I could sit there and listen to him tell me how good his deli is all day long.

    I've had the ultimate grilled cheese and it deserves each and every superlative he tries to sell it with. Might as well call it the Best Most Delicious Ultimate Amazing Grilled Cheese You'll Ever Eat in Your Entire Life in the Lehigh Valley To Infinity and Beyond.

    No but seriously.

    ReplyDelete