Sunday, October 9, 2011

Burrito Battle Month #1


818 W. Hamilton St.
Allentown, PA 18101
484-223-3805

This month will focus on local eateries that emphasize a single product:  the burrito.  Did you know the Lehigh Valley is encouraging a burrito battle?  Readers, who gets your vote?
We'll start by telling you about a new addition to Allentown’s Brew Works, proving to be a solid lunch spot for downtown Allentown.  They claim to serve all-natural, local, sustainable, organic meats and produce.  When I sought to confirm this detail, I didn’t receive too much information other than a certainty that the salsas were made with fresh produce.

Burrito Works’ concept is similar to the chain, Chipotle (closest location-Montgomeryville).  It simplifies the order process into 3 steps:
1.       Choose a burrito, burrito bowl, tacos, quesadilla or salad
2.       Choose chicken, beef, pork, or vegetarian
3.       Choose rice, beans, cheese & salsa

In spite of this straight-forward menu, it includes ideal selections for each option…I recommend the corn salsa. If you like it spicy, try pineapple habanero or pico el diablo. 

Other stand-out features of their burrito:
  • To remain true to its name, the meets and beans are marinated in different brews of beer, providing a distinct flavor.
  • You watch them make it, thus encouraging consumer customization.
  • They mix the ingredients, putting it into a warm tortilla—each bite will burst with the various elements.
  • For those who need some assistance in creating their burrito, they offer signature burritos. I went for the vegetarian offering, “On the Green”, which included brown rice, black lager beans, pinto ale beans, salsa verde, sautéed vegetables, guacamole.
  • The price is right at $6.95
  • For a flare from the traditional burrito, they offer pizzapatas—a grilled flatbread with “mexi-italian toppings.”  Sound strange? Another example of the American liberty of fusion meals.

Burrito works is bright but slightly stark in ambiance, limited seating, and unfortunately offers bagged chips instead of tortilla chips. 

Would I return?  Probably not, unless I had a lunch meeting or jury duty in Center City, Allentown.  However, if you want to join the local BURRITO BATTLE, include this in your adventure.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a Reader asked a follow-up question--why wouldn't I return? Good question!! While I enjoyed Burrito Works, especially its flavorful burrito, I would not go out of my way to return because: 1. not the most convenient location for me personally; 2. I prefer to receive tortilla chips vs. bagged chips with my burrito; 3. it is simply not my favorite burrito spot in the Lehigh Valley...to be continued this month! I do encourage readers to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am anonymous...Lynne
    Thanks for responding. I am looking forward to burrito month!!

    ReplyDelete