Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mediterranean Month #5


Soumaya & Sons
264 Fullerton Ave
Whitehall, PA 18052
(610) 432-0405


While I have enjoyed their fresh pitas and hummus through my mother, it was not until a friend, Belen Mora, encouraged me to visit this local business as a part of Evans Eats’ Mediterranean month.  This month would not be complete without sharing this Whitehall Middle Eastern treasure.   My only regret was letting social or perhaps “culture-shock” apprehension, hinder me from getting to know the owners and learning more about their background.  The name matches my suspicion that this is a family owned-and-operated endeavor.

While the atmosphere is stark, with only 2 small eat-in tables, do not let that stop you if you want a true taste of Mediterranean culture.  This is a store with aisles of various groceries from grains, rices, seasons and more.  For this trip, I focused on the “deli” counter set-up and purchased hummus, baba ghanaugh (an eggplant spread—similar consistency to hummus), tabouli, falafel and spinach pies. 

Our friends who recently returned from Israel informed the falafel they had there was “golf-ball size,” which is what you can expect from Soumaya & Sons.  The size is small, but just as tasty with a reasonable price ($.50) for buying more than one.  It was offered in a sandwich, though I received it “to go.”

A highlight of this trip, besides the cordial, helpful, and efficient service, was purchasing a large bag of pitas fresh & warm ($1.75/dozen).  Peeking behind-the-scenes, I spotted their source: a stone oven, which is pictured on every bag.

Everything was delicious and reasonably priced.  You can easily eat $10 and under and receive a tasty, flavorful sampler at this Whitehall store.  Their full menu can be prepared there or bought for take-home, and in my opinion this location is a vegan or vegetarian’s dream.

Will I return?  Without a doubt—but will save it for a grocery stop rather than eat-in location.


Hours: Mon-Thurs. 7 AM-6PM

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that sounds so good! I wonder if my mom knows about this place. Probably not, but rest assured my whole family will know about it by the end of the week! :) Thanks, Heath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When will the Applebees review be posted? I know that is Marks favorite place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, thanks for the suggestion. However, you'll have to check his blog for that. You may find one there: markrevans@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. SS--Let me know the Sullivan fam's review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know your Mediterranean month is over but my mom recommends Damascus in Allentown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alon--Thank your mom for the recommendation--2 others have also told me about Damascus. I didn't have the opportunity to get there this month but I am hoping to feature it another time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should revisit Soumaya sometime. They added an awesome shawarma spit, so now their shawarma is freshly grilled on the spot. They've also expanded their fast food options. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete